Destination Relief: It is usually not a problem, traveling with a guide dog on short flights, but when you have a longer trip, I get concerned on how to get the dog outside as quick as possible at the destination airport. Things get a little complicated with Gary's scooter, as we are always the LAST off the plane. We usually have to walk a long distance to get to baggage claim, hope that our luggage hasn't been taken to the baggage office yet (since it's been there so long) and find the door outside. Then we have to find a corner where I can relieve the dog. There is no time to find where the dog relief areas are...usually in an out of the way place. Kia would turn yellow before I could find the "correct" place to go! Ha ha
Departure Relief: We usually travel out of Newark, NJ Airport. When we get to the airport, I always try to relieve Kia by the curb. It can be pretty hectic with all the cars coming and going. Then after going through security...I go to relieve myself...haha
Since we are supposed to be at the airport at least 2 hours before a flight, that can cause me some anxiety with Kia's comfort on a long trip, especially if there is any delay. The relief area at Newark, and most all other airports that I have been to, is back through security....a long distance away. I sure wish that there was a relief area in each concourse, inside the secure area.
Once, in Newark, I had to take her out, as we had a delay. I had a representative from the airline walk me ALL the way back through security, out the same doors we came in, then all the way to the end of the building to a nice fenced in area for the dogs. It is a nice courtesy, but way to0 far to be practical.
McCarran Airport in Las Vegas is so huge that I never did find a dog relief area. I waited until we got to the parking garage and then found a corner for Kia to go. As a guide dog user, I ALWAYS clean up after my dog. We are well trained in being responsible for our animals.
I think guide dog school is mostly to train the handlers...the dogs already know what to do...Ha ha
The most important thing to remember is not to let the barriers get in the way of your travel adventures - it's all part of the trip!
The most important thing to remember is not to let the barriers get in the way of your travel adventures - it's all part of the trip!
1 comment:
Joyce, Really informative and well written. I'm sure most of us have never stopped to question where a guide dog could relieve itself when traveling through airports. This is clearly an area that could use some attention by the designers and operators of our airports. I'm meeting with an architectural firm that specializes in "accessible design" and will bring this up. Tom
Post a Comment